HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who uses their harness while climbing?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 03:21 PM
ampahunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Dave, Summit Stands sell a climbing system that allows you to be connected to the tree the entire time you're climbing, up or down.

It's a 30 foot length of rope tied to the tree just above the level of your tree stand seating position and then drop then the rope hangs to the ground. On this length of rope there another rope tied in a prusic knot that 'easilly slides' when load isn't applied and as soon load is applied the knot locks itself to the hanging rope.
It's a very simple system and works GREAT.
Summit sells the system for about $29--but you can easilly make a few yourself, just make sure you purchase a rope that has enough and more than enough breaking weight.
There is absolutely no hassles to using this system and it's not a PIDA either and will work on trees WITH or without branches.
If it saves you once, it may have saved your life--just for the cost of a few
BUCKS!!!
I sincerely recommend this system to everyone---and I am NOT an employee of Summit Stands, like I'd said earlier, anyone can make this thing themself--the prusic knot is the important knot and of course the breaking strength of both ropes.