HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MY CALLIN
Thread: MY CALLIN
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
b.p.

Default RE: MY CALLIN

Hey, first off i need to know if the gobblers are gobbling in the roost but shutup as soon as they fly down, are they gobbling constantly but wont come any closer, or you have not heard any gobbles at all. First if they are gobbling on the roost but shutup as soon as they hit the ground then the chances are they have found a hen and will be with her the remainder of the day. If you hear them gobble constantly but will not come any closer, chances are the gobbler is old and mature and is playing "hard to get" and is in an open area where he wants you to go to him instead of him coming to you. Another possibility if he is gobbling and wont get any closer is that there is an obsticle between you and him, such as a fence, creek, or some other obsticle. If this is the case then you need to very quietly gather all of your equipment and get on the same side as he is and set back up. Finally if you are hearing no gobbles but know for a fact that there are gobblers in the area there is a fair chance that they may be "hened up" for a few days but you still need to go out in the woods because any morning one may be looking for you. Just be patient, hens in your setup can not hurt you, unless you spook them, but just be very patient and wait it out and you will have some luck.