HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spring Black Bear hunters, need Help!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
sawbill

Default RE: Spring Black Bear hunters, need Help!!!

Firstly, if you're going the baiting route, then plan your hunt toward the latter part of your holiday. I really don't know what the climate is like in Idaho but when bears exit their dens, they'll feed on grasses for the first while and may show little or no interest in some types of baits, meat for instance. This shouldn't really be a concern in May but something to consider. Try to find an old logging area where the hardwood growth has started to come back. Best areas would have a heavy spruce or pine forest type that provides shelter with mixed in hardwoods that they feed on. Thick underbrush is definitely desirable. Ideally, choose a bait site in thick cover, along the edge of a marsh or wet area or small grassy pond.
Keep the sun at your back for the evening hunt. Try to pick a small ravine, or shoot from a knoll, anywhere that you can see between 50 and 100 yds. Don't sweat the wind direction. It's not an issue because the winds usually die down in the evening anyway. And I can't imagine you smelling any worse than a pile of meat. It's gonna take a few days at least to get bears attracted to your site so start out with something really smelly even though it may not be eatable. Rotten fish is great. Your baits should be prepared ahead of time in quantities that you can easily handle, maybe frozen in 10# plastic bags. Make sure its not one chunk, but bits and pieces so that when it thaws, the bears can only take smaller pieces at a time. Figure out how much you'll need, say 5 guys, maybe two bait sites each, 2 bags per day at 10 lbs per bag..........good thing you have a trailer. Once you have a bait site being hit, then concentrate on that spot with your baiting. If you're going archery, try to get away from using ladder stands. That setup really spooks the big males.
As for sizes, talk it over with your group on recognizing good adult bears. Use whatever methods it takes to make sure ahead of time you know what you're looking at. At your baitsite, I'd place a log (white birch if you have it there) and make it look natural, about 2 1/2 ft off the ground. This gives you an idea of height--anything above that is a taker.
Consider if flies is going to be a problem. If you're using bug spray, then spray a bit at the baitsite as well, just to get them used to it. Thats about it for now off the top of my head. Anything else, just holler or email.