HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just one of those seasons
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 08:42 AM
benhuntin

Default Just one of those seasons

Anther busted hunt. Ever have one of those seasons
« Thread started on: Today at 08:45:10 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The gobbler sounds off from his roost 200 yards away.
I do a light tree yelp and he goes nuts.
At fly down time I flapped a turkey wing and did a fly down cackle. I heard the gobbler fly off the roost and pitch down about 75 yards from me. IVE GOT HIM.
suddenly I hear a noise to my left coming through the palmettos. About 20 yards away out pops the biggest wild hog Ive ever seen. He stopped about 15 ft. from my blind and started knawing on a small tree, ( Anyone know why they do that?). His cutters were about 4 or 5 inches long and the crunching sound those teeth made on that tree made me a little nervous. In the mean time mr. Long beard is gobbling and strutting back and forth on the other side of a small brush line. I decided to try and get the hog to leave. I waved my hand and he stopped knawing on the tree and stared at me. I waved both hands and he just stood there staring. Oh CRap.
I didnt know what he was planning on doing but I did know that if he charged me I could only get off maybe one very close shot. I momentarily forgot about the turkey. After another 15 seconds or so I stood up and pointed the gun at him. He grunted and backed up a couple of feet. But still didnt spook! I took off my face mask. I guess my ugly face is all it took. That hog took off like he was shot out of a cannon.
grunting and huffing for as far as I could hear. I sat down and called to the gobbler. He answered about 300 yards away and still going. I guess next time I'll wait until the hog leaves on his own.
This is the 3rd hunt this year that got ruined by other wild animal. I had a group of deer come in and bust up a flock earlier in the season. On Saturday I had a group of hens coming to me towing a gobbler in a small woods opening when a hawk came screeching over. Those turkeys made a beeline into the brush and never came back.
Its usually other hunters that mess me up, but ol mother nature is taking her turn this year.