HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - overstaying your welcome
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 09:51 AM
snowdog2

Default RE: overstaying your welcome

I'm sorry that the hunter you were kind enough to let hunt on your lands has abused the privelege. I hope you do not shut out all hunters because of one bad apple in the barrel. If another hunter asks, though, I think it would be wise for you to lay some ground rules up front with the hunter, like saying "you can only go each time if you ask me first, because other hunters might be there" and/or telling him you expect a report at the end of the day, or that you expect the hunter will obey all game laws, maybe that you only will permit him or her to take only one bird from your lands, etc. Decide what your rules are and tell people that you let hunt what they are. Obviously, violating the game laws by taking more than the law permits should not be tolerated. Some of the other matters, though, are a problem of communication of expectations. If you never told him you expect him to check in before each day he goes, how would he know that? If you only wanted him to shoot one bird from your lands, but never told him, same question. (Speaking from my own expectations/experiences as a hunter, if I ask/get permission to hunt turkeys or pheasants on a particular piece of ground, I've always figured that was for whenever in the season I could get there, unless the landowner put a restriction on me like, "yes, but only for today", or "yes, but someone else will be here next week", etc.) Maybe I'm wrongheaded about that and need to enhance my own communication skills.