HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Diet as a means of scent control
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 07:49 AM
juniorpc

Default RE: Diet as a means of scent control

Some thoughts as I read the posts. I never really paid much attention to scent control until 7 or 8 years ago. Here's what I do now. I wash my clothing in scent removing detergent after every use. Budgeting doesn't allow for scent shield clothing or a good pair of rubber boots (though I'm probably just cheaping out on the rubber boot part but a good comfortable rubber boot w/insulation and allowing for walking a good distance is hard to come by). I do put doe urine on scent pads every trip to my stand. I hang cotton pads (that I steal from my wife's cosmetic supplies) N,S, E, W of my stand where I can shoot if a deer comes over and smells them. I also hang one from my shooting rail, occassionally spray some on my hat. I usually spray myself down with scent control spray at the truck as well. After washing my clothes I store them in a big plastic box with fir branches on the bottom. I've had deer stand under and around my stand, also small bucks feeding around me for a long time without scenting me, with wind blowing hard, soft, not at all, towards and away from them. Also done the same thing and have had deer wind me right away. I do hide my presence from many more deer than I used to. Last year I tried the smoke stick attractants. While I don't think they scared any deer from coming in, I did have some deer walk through the waifing smoke continue feeding unconcerned, but also uninterested. I'll try them some more this upcoming year though. Scent candles I saw at the sportmans show over winter intrigued me as well.
I do believe diet could have positive effects, but studies have been done showing deer visiting scrapes made with human urine as frequently as those made with doe/buck urine. Certainly urine from predators has some tell tale signature to it.
Dead skin cells- now you'll have me using an exfoliating sponge to scrub off the dead skin cells. Can't hurt, but don't think I'll be putting the effort into it.
Oh yeah, if I have time I also shower just before dressing to hunt with scent away soap. I usually buy whatever brand I see on sale of the soap, detergent, and I also use the scent away deodorant if i have it. i usually stock up on this stuff after season at Walmart when it's all on sale. I think the UV blocker portion of the laundry soap is as important as the scent control.
As for time put into all this- it's actually quite minimal. The scent away spray is already in the truck. I get out at my parking area, pull back the seat and spray. Returning it there for the next time. Laundering is not time consuming because you can do something else while it's being done and my plastic storage box is right by the dryer to go into when done. Urine comes out of the freezer into the fridge and then stays in the fridge until the bottles out. Just transfer it to and from my pack when putting my snacks in the pack. Probably not the best methods folks ever heard of, but I keep my cost down, time down, and get some positive results. Juniorpc.