HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Diet as a means of scent control
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 07:10 AM
PLB

Default RE: Diet as a means of scent control

I have some expierence with this. As a former Special Forces soldier, I would often spend several weeks in the field at a time. Our clothes would get quite ripe but due to sensory adaption, you wouldn't notice the stench (until you were able to shower and change clothes, then your old clothes were very noticeable). On the other hand, after being in the field for a week or so and some one would come to visit, fresh from the barricks, I could smell the deterget on their cloths and the clean soap smell from their skin...this is from 5 + yards away. I can't smell as good as a deer can.

I also know from travelling all over the world where diets change, that humans smell different due to their diet. One thing SF learned in Vietnam, is to eat what the locals eat, and we did just that in Afghanistan (I don't think it really matter much, because we were always at ranges greater than 100 meters from AQ, where as in Vietnam, SF could end up quite close to the VC)

Last year on the bow hunt, I was inside of 10 yards on two does. I was on the ground and did not have blind. I just remained still, they never saw me, just kept grazing...oh and there was no wind and I was not using cover sent.

I also know that k-9's can pick up your sent from dead skin particles that are falling off of you all the time, but the k-9 has been trained to search for that sent. Like it was said above, I think it comes down to wether or not the deer recognize your sent as a threat.