HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Diet as a means of scent control
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Diet as a means of scent control

Well I would recommend staying away from spicy foods anyway..........oh and refried beans. []
There may be something to it, people say that they can smell alcohol "Oozing" from your pores....well not my pores but you get the idea.

Oral hygiene is probably way more important than actual diet. Flossing,brushing,mouthwash, and a fat juicy apple on the way to stand is a pretty good plan.

I also tend to like Non-threatening cover scents used lightly on clean boots.....racoon,or gray squirrel depending upon area I hunt. Rubber boots, don't touch a thing, scent free shower and stay off the trails. I have a few new locations I want to hang stands, and next week I am going to be hitting them with the pruners to make my own little sneaky scent free approach to my stands since I hunt some really thick areas it's all to easy to get lazy and use the deer trails for getting to stand.

We do what we can but I think we forget sometimes that we are dealing with a sense of smell that we really can't comprehend. You hear numbers like, "A deer has a sense of smell that is "X" times better than a human's" I don't think we probably realize what sort of ability that really translates to.