HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"
Old 03-24-2004, 09:03 AM
mlaubner
Typical Buck

Default "Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"

OK, maybe I am fortunate to have the expertice of Len from MD's shop close to my home(Macrotech).
But I want to share what I learned and get you opinions on this subject material.
Hybrid cams offer the best of all possible worlds to the compound bow shooter. Ease of tuning, "true" straight and LEVEL nock travel (which of course imparts less negative effects on arrow flight, which leads to ease of tuning) and a host of other positive attributes that I am sure you will read about as this thread grows. I will defer to Pinwheel12, Len and other to add more as they are certainly more the expert that I.
So here's the thing, we all seem to brag about this bow or that bow,(none of us would want to beleive that we bought an inferior bow) claiming that ours is the best for what ever reason.
My first bow was a Mathews, I thought I was buying the best for an assortment of reasons, not the least of which was the straight line cam. Seems like a great idea, get the arrow off the string in a straight line. This will give you the most efficiency from your bow set-up and in return yeild the highest K.E. and the truest flight path. Yes, the cam does produce a straight line but it is not LEVEL. So all the tuning you do is to counter or make up for this defeciency. In essence, the bow is working against the arrow and our job is to "fix it" to achieve good arrow/broadhead flight, i.e. tuning.
Now enters the hybrid cam which offers both straight and level nock travel and a host of improvments over both the single and two cam systems.
Suddenly you see a plethora of manufactures scrambling to introduce this cam system into their line-up of new bows, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc.,all the while continuing to bash the other guys product (a symptom of marketing hype)
Now I fully believe in "comfort zones", and everyone has one, including me. There will always be room in the industry for all three types of cam because of everyones comfort zone.
But what are your opinions on this "new" cam system, is it the wave of the future? ( and yes, I know it is not really new, Darton has had it patented for many years, but like the fallaway rest, some ideas are just ahead of their time and take awhile for our acceptance to catch up.)