HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best slug gun under $1000
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 05:00 AM
Pace Maker

Default RE: Best slug gun under $1000

I have to say the Remington 11-87 special purpose fully rifled cantilever scoped deer gun. Mine shoots touching groups at 50 and 2-1/2" groups at 100, equipped with a Leupold M8-2.5 fixed heavy duplex scope. It took me a long long time to find the right ammo and for mine it's Federal's 3" Barnes Expander. I shot just about every slug under the sun. Can't go wrong with this gun in my opinion. I'm sure you know shotguns are very finicky on what slug they like to spit out, so don't be depressed if you shoot a lot of different brands before you come up with a winner. With the price of slugs this can be costly. Hopefully your first choice in slugs will shoot right on! At $11.00 a box of 5 for the Federals (that's when I could mail order, the confused state of Massachusetts no longer lets us order ammo thru the mail, now at the gunshop they are $15.00 per box of 5!), needless to say it's not something I shoot much paper with. I go to the range a few times a year with it and shoot a couple boxes and it's always right there. I save the practice for the rifles I reload. Good Luck in your search and no matter which gun you choose, to obtain optimum groups, you're going to need to find the right slug.............John