HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:18 AM
DM

Default RE: have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

I wouldn't be afraid to face any animial in north America with my 30-06 "includeing" the big bears. And YES i've hunted and shot big bears.

Like the others have said, is all hangs on what bullet you use. For big bears and moose, i use 200 grain nosler partitions. For elk sized game, use 180's, and for deer use 150's or 165's..

You quite often here read about guys saying "they" shoot "at" game animials at 500 and 600 yards away. (or more) In my opinion, these guys should measure out, and see just how far away 600 yards REALLY is. "If" they REALLY are shooting that far away at game animials, then i have less respect for that action, than i do for useing a "properly loaded" center fire 22 on deer at reasonable ranges!!

My point is, a 30-06 is MORE than enough gun for game animials "if" you keep the ranges down to where they should be!!! A MEASURED 300 yards is a LONG ways to be shooting at game animials!!

The 30-06 is easily the best all around cartridge ever invented, and i prefer it over any of the 30 cal magnums!!

Drilling Man