HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Pace Maker

Default have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

I'm sure this question has been asked a few times over the years. I've been reading a lot of posts in the gun forum. People are saying with some of the new factory loads you can come comparably close to the 300 win mag with a 30.06. I was thinking of buying a new 300 win mag but I already have a 30.06, should I opt for another caliber like the 338 win mag? One problem being is I don't reload myself, but I have 2 friends I shoot with that do reload for themselves and me. They have been shooting the 300 win mag for years and have worked up some great loads for it. Combined they have killed every big game animal in North Ameria with the 300 win mag. But, I'm not sure if it couldn't have been done with the .06. I live in Massachusetts and it's shotgun only here, the only time I use the .06 is one week a year in Maine, and any other one week hunts I may go on throughout the course of the year. This year I have two other hunts coming up, a black bear hunt in the spring, which I feel fine using the .06 as it's over bait and in a treestand. And a moose hunt in Newfoundland, which I'm not sure about the .06. I know moose have been killed with far less firepower than the .06 but I'm going to have a good amount of money invested in this hunt and don't want to get out there and find the .06 not enough. I'd like to shoot a 200gr bullet but it looks like they drop off the table pretty fast in the .06. Any suggestions on any other calibers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..............John