HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Carrying a bow on horseback?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Wolf killer
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carrying a bow on horseback?

BobCo19-65
I still stand behind my statement that the outfitter works for you. A hard shell bow case is the only safe/secure way I know of to carry your bow on horse back. The outfitter can lash a hard sided bow case down as a top pack on a decker very easy. If the outfitter does not want to do this? You are taking a chance with your bow. Make sure he has targets & a bow press in camp. Bring an extra bowstring, cables and tools with you. Ask the outfitter how many years he has been guiding bow hunters? Ask for a reference list of bow hunters that have hunter with him. Then call all of them. Guiding a bow hunter is not the same as guiding a rifle hunter.
I know I am sounding like a jerk. I am just thinking about your bow & your money. What will you do if a horse brushed up against a tree and bends your sight or arrows? I am sure there will be trees where you will be hunting. You will also be riding in the dark every morning & every evening. The horse can see just fine in the dark but you can't. How are you going to avoid brushing up against tree limbs if you can't see them until it is too late?