HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Someone talk me down...
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Rangeball
Nontypical Buck

Default Someone talk me down...

No, I'm not getting ready to buy a Mathews...

I've come to learn something about myself. When I can focus on a target, my instincts take over my mechanics and I generally shoot much better. This was reinforced the other day when shooting the Outback sans sights. I just pulled up, got comfortable, stared the target down and pulled off a tensionless shot. Put a pin between me and the target and it's a whole nother story.

I recently read IPA by Bernie Pellerite, and while it was totally target shooting oriented, he did say that some kinds of folks shoot better with a ring versus a dot, when using target scopes. I think I'm one of them, and I want to give it a try.

I'm thinking of just getting gluing a strip of clear plastic to one of my pin arms, taking the fiber dot off it and sticking some sort of ring on it. I've seen those rings that are sold for target scopes (like the ones on Merlin's site), but I'm not sure if they are sized to be compatible with the zoom factor of the scopes or not. I shoot with a pendulum sight, so I'd sight in with the ring centered around the target at about 25 yards, then in the woods just pick a spot, let my mind naturally center the spot within the ring and let fly.

Optimally, I'm imagining the ring would be about 5 MOA at 30 yards. I have no idea what diameter ring this would translate into when viewed with my eye about 30" away. Any takers? (just did some math, does 11/64 sound right?) Hopefully it won't be so small it will blur into one big honking "pin".

Anyway, that's what I've been considering. I think for my sanity's sake, I at least need to go through with some testing so I'll know once and for all if my gut is right or not.

Any thoughts?