HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ANYONE RAISE TURKEYS
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 07:24 PM
gobblerspur

Default RE: ANYONE RAISE TURKEYS

hi,
i raised and reared , wild turkeys, pheasants, quail, and chukers for six years.one thing check your laws about releasing them.
its not a good idea to release them in the wild, because they don't have the survival instincts. when rasing poults must keep them off of ground, so they don't eat their droppings.
i keep them on wire until six weeks old with heat lamps.
they will begin to fly about three weeks,feed them medicated feed until six to eight weeks.when i bought the eggs, i incubated them in a small incubator. then went to a large one. i had 15 gobblers , and 30 hens for breeders.when raising them ,they just like rasing kids. alot of work.
eggs will hatch in 25 to 28 days.make sure they have plenty of room when they get older.when i raised them i had to get them blood tested to be released.but now you don't have to, since your not allowed to release them.turkeys are not hard to raise if you keep the pens clean and have enough room. i gather eggs and incubate them.
about evey year, i hatch about 200 poults a year and sell them to sportsman clubs.lots of fun. please keep out of the wild and enjoy them at home.