HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - white tail deer decoy...when...how
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Kyler

Default RE: white tail deer decoy...when...how

I have used a buck decoy over the years and have had good success with it.

Definitely let it air out and soak it with scent eliminator once you set it in place. I also add a good amount of dominant buck urine on it as well. Wear rubber gloves when handling as well. Scent control is a must.

With the buck decoy, I generally, face the buck right towards me. Generally other bucks will come at it broadside or straight on. The one thing is when they are walking in, they are kind of hard to stop to get a shot at them. The best part about it, is watching the live buck display by puffing his hair out, laying his ears back and watching him approach in an aggresive manner to the deek. When the live buck goes into this mode, you can almost do jumping jacks in your stand and they won't look up at you. You can really get a way with a lot of movement at this point. Drawing your bow etc.

The negative, is that the does don't like the deeks. They freak out because the deek never moves and always stares in the same spot making them nervous. They will almost always run off.

You can also set up the deek with brush on one side so the buck will circle around past you etc. I have often times placed logs and sticks etc on one side of the deek so I can control the route the live buck takes toward the deek. Keep in mind scent control when doing this.

It's an extra effort to get the deek there but it can pay off in big dividends.

Also, never the leave deek standing or even laying down in sight when you aren't around. You don't want to educate the local deer to the new intruder.

Good luck.

Good luck