HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got a question? Here are some FAQ's.
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 07:08 PM
psandhu
Typical Buck

Default Got a question? Here are some FAQ's.

Here are some questions that are often asked. My answers may not be right or complete. Other experienced waterfowlers will post additional questions and answers and clarify existing questions as replies to this thread. Hopefully this will be a source of quick help for you. Have a good season.

What sized shot should I use?

For steel, anything from BB~6. BB and 6 are the extremes. Most people have good results with 2 and 4 in steel. 4 for smaller ducks at closer ranges, 2 for larger ducks at further ranges. BB & 6 at your own discretion. If you want a load for cripples, try 6 or 7. Aim slightly BELOW the bird, not directly at it. Steel pellets in the pattern under the duck will bounce off the water and go upwards.

What sized choke should I use?

C, IC, LM, M. This is all for steel. Steel patterns tighter than lead, so a C in steel will pattern like a M in lead. An M in steel will pattern like a F in lead. Alot of people like shooting extended LM chokes.

What's the advantage of an extended tube?

The constriction is more gradual than a flush mounted choke. Supposedly this helps the patterns as the shot charge is not compressed as quickly.

My brand XYZ semi auto shotgun keeps jamming?

Clean it. Clean out the recoil spring and recoil tube. These are in the stock. Take off the buttplate, the stock, and disassemble from there. Use a good lubricant.

What should I use to clean/lubricate my shotgun?

Most any commercially available products will work. RemOil, BreakFree CLP, Shooters Choice lube, etc. Do NOT use WD-40. It does not lubricate.

Should I get a camo finish on my shotgun?

Sure, if you want to spend the extra money for aesthetics.

What's the best brand of shotgun?

They're all good, but every manufacturer makes a lemon every now and then. Figure out what is in your budget for the purchase. $300, $500, $750, $1000+. Once you have that amount saved, save some more and buy a shotgun in the next higher price category. It may take you a month or three to save the extra money, but this gun is going to be with you the rest of your life. Get the best you can. Get a sling too.

What's a good brand of shells?

Speed kills. If you have a choice of a heavier and slower load, as opposed to a lighter and faster load; get the fast load. There is also slightly less amount of lead you have to place in front of the duck with a faster load. All major manufacturers make fast steel (1500+ fps). Not every gun will pattern the pellets the same. Brand ABC shells may pattern horribly in brand XYZ gun, but someone else with the same gun and shells can have excellent patterns with them. You have to pattern your loads first.

How do I pattern my loads.

Get some big pieces of cardboard. I go to the back of a furniture store and help myself to appliance boxes. You can then put end rolls from a newspaper (get them from the newpaper office, couple of bucks for hundreds of feet) or paper tablecloth covers over the cardboard. Shoot at it from 40 yds. Draw a 30" circle around the most pellets. Count the pellets, compare that with the number of pellets in the load and you have your percentage. Repeat this at 30 yds and maybe 50 yds if you are a good shot. Use different chokes and different shells. Eventually you'll come across a lethal combination. When you see the paper, you'll just know that this particular combination is better than anything else you've patterned.

How do I build a blind for my boat?

www.duckboats.net

I keep missing the birds I shoot at?

Try leading the birds more, or swinging through faster. Keep your head on the stock.

I call at the birds but they keep flying or fly directly away.

Your calling sucks. Don't call or call very lightly. Or let someone else do it. The marsh is not a place to practice. Your vehicle is.

I need to buy some waders?

Get the strongest & highest insulated you can afford. Stay away from rubberized canvas unless you hunt in a warm climate. 1000 grams of thinsulate is good. El cheapo hip boots will work during the first half of the season if you have to go this route.