HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - light biters.....
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default light biters.....

anyone have advice for catching trout that are picking up lightly?? waters 40 or so still and theres a lake open to trout fishing and the fishing is great during march....then it closes till the 17th of april when trout season starts and they are taken out too smart and waters too warm soon after and they dont hit as good.....ive been getting 20 some hits a day and only catching a few of them.....3 was my best so far....but i was messing with circle hooks for an hour or so before getting mad and switching......i use a slip sinker with a small shot about 18 inches above the hook......with powerbait....it floats up about 15-18inches when the slip sinker is on the stop.....very little resistance.....they either hit it and when i set the hook i miss them or take it very lightly and i set the hook and they are gone or i get lucky and have them on.......any advice?? i get a strike about every 10-15 mins tops....but miss to many.......i use regular hooks and set it straight back and up......im on the bank too.....line is slackless and not out far at all....the fish are holding in a weed bed and i find open pockets and put my bait in there or cast just past the edge of it....the fish are there and hitting i just cant get them all.....any tips?? thanx alot