HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off season scouting...tips, advice, hints, comment
Old 02-09-2002, 09:01 PM
wolfen68
Typical Buck

Default Off season scouting...tips, advice, hints, comment

Since this is a "HUNTING" forum. I thought I would post an off-beat yet original "hunting" question for folks. What do you people do in the off season in regards to scouting to assure you success in the upcoming year? Me, personally, I take a walk through my woods periodically to check the signs of deer activity. With snow on the ground and bare woods with all the leaves fallen off the trees it becomes much easier to nail down the patterns of deer in the area. Everything stands out..trails are much easier to notice. Feeding areas are obvious with all of the fecal matter everywhere. Bedding areas are obvious with the melted snow clearly indicating where the deer like to spend the majority of their time. And a cherished set of shed antlers clearly point to the potetial of bucks that have survived the hunting season and are going to be growing, hopefully, a larger set of horns the next year. I love the off-season as much as the on-season. It's exciting! When the wife allows, I will even sit in a stand every so often to see what I can see in the way of deer and their herd's inventory. Although patterns now will be much different compared to next October, there is a huge amount of information available now that can be pertinent to next year's pursuit. Do you agree...what do you do as far as scouting in the "off-season"?