HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plots????
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 AM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots????

i'll put a plot of good ol' ladino clover up against any other variety of food plot mix. mixes are good and I am sure (like I said before) that the brand mixes work good for some people in some situations. the main problem I have with them is that sometimes the mix contains plants that 1) may never grow in a certain climate or conditions or 2) have plants that don't serve and purpose for the planters goals and 3) often they are never made aware of those facts by the people trying to sell them. in many instances they could selectively buy individual forages, that are in the mixes, separately and save money and get "better" results for their situation and goals. I don't necessarily discourage people from buying the name-brand mixes, but i do tell them to check into other options and don't always believe the person who is selling you the mix (and by looking into options they think that I am off base as well, but at least they are informed)

on a side note - grazing cattle do have a choice in what they eat (they selectively graze at first and then may be forced to eat what is left). deer are no different. if given a choice they will eat what they "desire" first and then look for something else. studies (cattle and other animals) have shown that animals regulate thier intake of forage based on their biological needs. let me explain - animals "know" what they are lacking and will search out feed to balance their diets. ie - if they need protein they will seek out clovers; if they need another nutrient they will seek that nutrient out; and if they are overloaded with protein (like in my total clover plot) they will seek out something with more energy, carbs, or fiber (browse maybe); additionally, if a cow is deficient in, say, manganese and they are given free choice minerals, they will eat more manganese to get balanced.
Some studies are also showing that it may be beneficial to plant a plots (pasture) in strips - strip of clover, strip of grass, strip of brassica, etc. that way deer can selectively eat what they want/need all in one area and don't have to pick and chose between individual plants that are mixed. most of what i am saying is related to cattle, but I think it holds true for deer just the same.

just some "food" for thought

ps - i planted a plot on my back hill (logging roads) using a "piece-meal" approach with varied results; planted a mix of grass and clover with a rye cover crop; deer loved the rye and seems to eat clover mostly; I was just up there yesterday and the deer have been digging in the snow to get to the grass; if I were to do it over i would plant the clover at a similar or higher rate and plant the grass at a lowre rate (the grass wants to take over; I try and mow occasionally to prvent this