HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jeff Cooper
Thread: Jeff Cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 PM
propmahn

Default RE: Jeff Cooper

Cooper is a large fan of the .308 after all he pioneered the scout rifle concept built upon a .308 chambering. I dont like him too much though, just the way he writes and what he writes about. Not that I really disagree with him on much it just seems to me that he is not vey open minded. While a lot of people feel like him that the 1911 or one of it variants is the best defensive sidearm out there, I feel that he should at least keep an open mind that its the best we have no though something better may come along (not to say that it has). I dont know if anything better will come along, and if i knew of something better I would have patented it already.

One thing that he said that pissed me some thing along the lines of "If you cant shoot a major caliber pistol (.45ACP) for defensive purposes then you should reduce the caliber all the way down to .22 and be the most accurate possible". Now i dont carry, but this is got to be the dumbest thing ever said. If you could say shoot a 9mm into a 1"group at 25 yards offhand, and same for a .22lr but not a .45ACP, then the obvious choice is the 9mm. Maybe he was doing it to stir up trouble then in that case i retract the dumbest thing said comment.