HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More bow tuning - level nock travel
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: More bow tuning - level nock travel

You should stop worrying about trying to 'fix' nock travel because it can't be done. It is inherent in the design of your bow/cam.

The straighter the nock travel, the easier it is to tune and allows a wider range of spine.

Testing nock travel can be done in many different ways. I choose machine that fixes the riser so that I can SEE the cam(s) at work and realize how they influence the string. Video observation does not 'fix' the riser and is therefore not see how the cam(s) affect the string movement. In other words, in the hands of a standard archer (unlike a machine used with video) the bow's riser will become more 'fixed' and bad nock travel will become more prevalent.

I recently had a bow that showed bad nock travel. My techs were very skeptical and asked my opinion because it tuned beautifully. I noticed that the nock travel had a cancelling affect similiar to a subject called "noise cancellation". I asked them to shoot a fixed BH. The fixed BH hit in the same hole as the FT with an expert shooter behind the bow. The nock travel variation did in fact have a cancelling effect and subsequently acted like straight and level nock travel.

Studying nock travel, unless you have the equipment and expertise, if a mind-blowing task and is not definable via this medium.