HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE
Old 02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE

I wasn't aware that they'd discontinued the smaller RH's, I just forgot about the "special" .44mag SRH...By the questions he was asking, I kind of assumed he was a beginner, so I figured I'd mention the difference in DA/SA's.

I do also agree that you shouldn't be able to wear out any of the Rugers (although MANY MANY cowboy action shooters break transfer bars so often that they have the hammers welded and take out the system all together)...I just wanted to point out that if one's going to wear out before the other, the RH's would likely go first because of the increased # and complexity of the moving parts, but it would take a LONG time and a lot of use to get to that point of wear.

As far as the flat top New models go-the first blackhawk I bought was a NM flat-top, I bought and sold it before I even knew what the significance of either feature meant, it might have been a custom deal made to look like the OMFT's, I can't count that out, but going back to the pictures, I swear it's a dead ringer-I don't have access to a scanner or I'd post pics here. Doing a little looking around lends me to now believe that it was likely a custom "knock off", but like I said, it was a GOOD job if it were.