HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How does a pheasent work????
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004, 06:03 PM
NESoDak

Default RE: How does a pheasent work????

Sunset makes good points and I will try to add to them. Pheasants prefer to run if they are able, this makes them a trial for unseasoned pointers sometimes. When you are working cover, look for flushes to come near changes in cover or terrain. A dip, a change from millet to shorter grass, the end of a tree line, all will be places to look for a flush. As you walk, even if you are following a dog, it is a good policy to stop every 20 yards or so, that pause can make birds nervous and flush. I have hunted behind some very good dogs but it is rare that every bird is found by even the best of dogs. Add to that, these are birds who like to double back and sneak. If you use a dog, be certain the dog has learned a good amount of control. Many times a dog will get over excited by the scent and/or site of several birds running in front of him and become temporarily deaf.

A close pheasant flush can stop your heart as effectively as 220 volts on a wet floor. They are big birds compared to most upland birds and make a heck of a racket. Pheasants are not hard to hit, it is just that they are easy to miss. People tend to shoot behind pheasants. Wether that is from misjudging the speed of a big bird or from the size of the bird itself I am not entirely sure even tho I have hunted them all my life. A good practice is to look for the red eye patch on the side of the head and shoot for that.