HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Chokes, to port or not to port - that is the question
Old 02-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Jollyarcher
Typical Buck

Default RE: Chokes, to port or not to port - that is the question

Yes, I agree that each shotgun is quite unique. This patterning game is not at all unlike handloading... which I do a ton of. Working a load that shoots sub 1" MOA consistently in one rifle is no clear indication it will work as well in rifles of like caliber. The combinations of guns / ammo are staggering, as are chokes / "Turkey Brand X" shells. I made mention of wishing to own that particular Mossberg from my original post, knowing full well that all Mossbergs with 28" barrels and a matching Hastings choke will not shoot the same - or as well as that one did. We all could buy identical sports cars on the same day, made at the same factory on the same day, break them in on the same day and they would all be different on a quarter mile run.

What I was hoping for with this post was a generalized answer among serious pattern hunters that ported chokes were prefered or not prefered over unported models. Sorry to have misled you, comparison is what I sought... not which ported choke did what with what ammo in comparison to its solid counterpart.