HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Encore, need load suggestions
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 03:48 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Encore, need load suggestions

Yes I am aware that the Shockwaves and the SST's are one and the same. The only reason I suggested he get the T/C Shockwaves are the Hornady combination packs of XTP's and SST's I had a little problem getting them down the barrel of my Black Diamond when I was loading with out swabbing the barrel between shot. I even broke a short ball starter attachment trying. I have never had a problem with the Shockwaves. Perhaps they use a different sabot or I was just unfortunate with the other load, who knows.

Now today I was shooting some hand cast 300 grain flat nose solid lead .45 caliber .452 diameter out of harvester sabots and was getting excelllent groups with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. The Black Diamond performed perfect as is usual. At 35 yards off shooting sticks I fired seven shots into the 9 & 10 circle off of the shooting sticks. Most all the hits were in the 10 ring and edge of the 9. I was very pleased actually with the homemade cast bullets.

I also wanted to see if the 300 grain SST's would load and I this time I did force them down the barrel after swabbing. They shot excellent. Again, at 35 yards, again with 100 grains of loose, off the sticks it was one large hole...

I also took some 230 grain hand cast pure lead round nose .45 caliber .452 diameter bullets out. I was shooting them at the same distance under the same circumstances. I was shocked at how well they also shot. I dropped the charge down to 90 grains of RS and could put them anywhere I liked on the target.

So there are a lot of projectiles out there to shoot. The question is whether you want to stick to one bullet or try numerous ones. If I were to stay with one bullet, it would be the T/C 250 grain Shockwave...