HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow weight for deer.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 01:04 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow weight for deer.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that there should be a set minimum. First deer are not large animals and the idea of KE for them is very highly overdone. Secondly, there are many people of short stature, be it women, youngsters , or just short people, that shoot shorter draws and/or lighter draw weights, that it's not fair to make a blanket statement like that. Would it be fair to them to disclude them from hunting because of their physical capabilities? They may have better abilities in the accuracy department than many of us.
Personally, I shoot a 27" draw, 54 to 60 lbs, and normal hunting arrows weigh from 306gr to 330gr. The only deer I've shot with these lightweights that didn't pass through hit the opposite shoulder bone, fracturing it and bending the stainless tip of the broadhead. And that was only traveling 237fps that year.
Some states make such a limit and people who live there have to abide by it, to be legal, but it's akin to someone on a forum asking "What's the best....." There are just too many variables in each situation to make hard and fast rules. How would you all like it if someone made the rules that could only hunt with brand XXX bow, or only shoot XXX broadhead. Nah, it ain't fair to make such rules.