HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
doubleA
Typical Buck

Default RE: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

About 15 years ago I was loading up some 44 mags when my father came to visit me. I continued to to prime my cases and set up my powder measure while talking with dad. What I didnt realize at the time is that I transposed the load somehow.

I was loading up some 225gr hollowpoints with (at that time) Hercules 2400. The correct load was a book max of 20.5 grains of 2400 with the 225 grain bullet but I wound up setting my Uniflow to drop 25.0 grains. Well I loaded 150 rounds of that, I dont dont why but I did catch the mistake later on that day.

Something in my feeble mind told me to re-check the powder charge and luckily I did. I put them in a marked container saying "OVERLOADED, DO NOT USE. Later on I pulled all the bullets and was able to save em and the powder and load them up right. I dont knowif the 4.5 grain overload would have hurt my super blackhawk but I was glad that I didnt find out either!

I would suggest that it's nice to talk to folks but they can be a hazardous distraction at times. Be carefull, keep your mind on what you are doing and maybe take a break if distracted by something or someone.

doubleA