HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - coyotes
Thread: coyotes
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 08:03 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coyotes

Jeff, I hear ya........

I've never gone throught the math like you, but 2 fawns per doe is pretty common around here too - I think the highest losses we receive is right now, when the deer population is stressed, yarded up, and the snow is 3 ft deep like its been for a month.

Deer and coyotes will migrate this time of year in search of food in my area - Quite honestly, more deer are probably killed by dogs & cars as they lose their fear of man and feed on the edges and in town. The coyote hunting can be good, but when the snow is deep, if protecting deer is your goal - then its best to not invade on their bedding areas or yards - once you displace the deer, and they are forced to run across a large expanse - any deer can be run down by dogs or coyote.

Like you - we have Many Large coyotes - I've found that we could probably never get rid of them. So we feed them, by improving small game habitat and feeding areas. A coyote content to feed on rabbits or voles, is less likey to prey on our deer population. In fact- in the fall months - its not uncommon to see coyotes "mousing" in the same field, at the same time as deer feeding there.

I've found where coyotes have killed 3 deer (all winter killed 9 month old animals) over the last 6 years on our land - so I'm not saying they are not a threat - If you remove them - more will fill the void.

If you enjoy hunting them, well thats a different story - But I wouldn't count on eradication as a management plan.