HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?
Old 02-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Montana Bob
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?

Funny how everyone has just a little different approach.
Started to read BIGBOB 30-06 and we do alot of the same technics.
First all my rifles are accurized by the gunsmith. Trigger pull, Bedding, Lugs........
I am a little more anal and weigh all my bullets as you would be surprised
at the difference.
As with Bob I weigh and measure everything including the final product.
However I go with 5 rounds at each 1/2 gr powder measurement and when I go to the next set I totally clean the barrel and run a light patch of gun oil.
The first round in the new set is to just clean out the oil and does not count in my group.
I also am carefull to wait a minute or 2 with the action open to cool down the barrel for the next shot.
When I finally find the perfect load I take a MASTER and paint it orange so I have the weights and mesurements right there for quick referance.
This is a fun little hobby and you can put as much time and presion into it as you like.
It took me a good month of weekends with powders and bullets to find my Savage 112 in 22-250 shoots 52gr Speer Hollowpoint with 34 gr of 4064 the best.
Blowing the heads off Gophers at over a 1/4 mile is some of the best fun in the world and knowing that I am the 1 who is loading the bullets is just iceing on the cake.