HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow Tuning Can O Worms
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 05:25 AM
mrfritz44
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow Tuning Can O Worms

ORIGINAL: TFOX
You said the shop guy had it shooting bullet holes but what does it do when YOU shoot it through paper?If you are not getting bullet holes then torque is most likely the problem.
I wasn't very clear with that statement. I should have said the pro-shop made the adjustments after I shot through the paper. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to try to rule out torque from the equation tonight. I did change my grip recently in an attempt to better steady my aim. I was shooting open handed but the bow's grip is very narrow and my hand allowed it to move within the valley my hand created. Then I tried lightly placing my fingers in a vertical line on the front of the bow's grip to narrow the valley in my hand. It offered more precise control, but I suppose it may also be causing a little more torque.

There is another variable that I'm working on to find my sweetspot. I had discussed in an earlier thread that I thought my drawlength was a hair long and caused arm slap upon release. It had been suggested that I try a 28 1/2" module to compensate. I asked the pro-shop if they had any and he said it would take a couple weeks to get them in, so I searched for an alternative method of shortening draw without affecting the let-off and valley too much.

I experimented last night and added a shorter string loop and played with the Infinity cams ability to microadjust draw length via the draw post. I moved it from it's shop setting of 5.5 ticks from the "S" to only 5. I set up an impromptu range in my basement (my wife "loved" that) and it reduced the slap by a good bit. I think I can get rid of the additional slap by modifying my form a bit with a more open stance. Such a small adjustment didn't noticably change the let-off either which was good news.

Now that all of that is set (at least until I test it on a real range), I'll try to shoot these bare shafts again tonight. The first thing I'll do, however, is shoot long range with different grip forms to ascertain if its me and not the bow causing my apparent pushes at these longer ranges.

Thanks for all the help so far, and I'll let you know what happens.

Fritz