HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best self denfense gun
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best self denfense gun

Being pretty vague as to what you're defending yourself against...against two legged vermin, I prefer a .45acp, a decocker DA/SA is a great option, my favorite-Ruger P-97DC, draw and shoot, no time fumbling with safeties, I also carry a Springfield 1911 occasionally...either of which are usually backed up by a .38spcl double bbl O/U derringer-which occasionally gets carried alone, when a full sized gun on my hip would raise too many eyebrows.

Against mountain lions or wolves, I like the .45acps as well, but a good .357mag is hard to beat for these (although if you ever get cornered by 4-5wolves, 6shots and a hard reload isn't my favorite).

For bears, a handgun isn't the best option, I've carried a .44mag revolver, just because it was the only thing I had with me at the time on the trip, I felt pretty undergunned...I much prefered my .454cassul Ruger or the Desert Eagle .50AE I had, I've also carried my BFR .45-70, although I don't really recommend that one.

As for your loads, for people, a good jacketed hollow point design is great, for revolvers, I like hard cast lead slugs for the lighter work, and either hard cast or a good jacketed "hard" soft point for the bears-you need some expansion or you might as well be stabbing it with a knife, but you can't sacrifice penetration.

For personal protection around the camp, nothing beats the following two-Marlin 1895GS stainless .45-70 guide gun, 5rnds of 502grn hard cast power in a fast handling package, OR, a riot gun like the Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga 18-20" shotgun (depends on what year you bought it on length), eight 12ga rounds-I like a "party mix" of slugs and buckshot, gives you power of slugs if you need it and the "sloppy shot protection" of buckshot, making perfectly placed shots under pressure isn't easy.