HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Limpy leg lives! (pics)
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 11:53 AM
PAhunterJEN

Default RE: Limpy leg lives! (pics)

I'm not feeding Limpy Leg... He showed up at the bird feeder the first time yesterday and then today when I came around the corner with a cup of seed he was there again. He spooked and hobbled off. He's bedding on the slope in the woods about 100 yards away. He's there just about every day.
Believe it or not this deer looks much better than when I first seen him on or about Dec. 28th. That day I actually pursued him with my bow trying to get a shot to put him out of his misery. He was total skin and bones so he's actually put on weight since then.
Well, since he came to the feeder twice in two days I'm wondering if he's gonna show up every day now. There's not that much there for him to eat so at least he won't get too much. I know that he's been eating a lot of pine needles and bark plus some tiny saplings. Limpy and other deer have stripped several recently fallen pine trees so this must be a big part of their diet since we have so much crusty snow.
I have read some things on the do's and don'ts of feeding deer when they're hungry in the winter so I'm glad I didn't start feeding him....