HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 AM
thndrchiken
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?

I'll take the 3 fastest powders that offer an 85% case capacity or better from at least several data sources for the bullet weight I'm working a load for. I like to use the data from the bullet manufacturer, powder manufacturer and data from other sources like Sierra or Lyman manuals. I then take the max load listed from all of the sources and determine an average max load, reduce by 10 % and that's my start point, I increase in 1/2 gr increments to the max charge. Loading 5 rds for each charge. At that point I take the 2 smallest groups and increase/decrease 1/10 gr increments to find the tightest group. If lucky the load is usually worked up in under 50 rds. If I change a component like bullet or primer I'll start at the charge weight from the previous load and do the same 1/10 gr increment increase/decrease. While it may seem complicated it works for me with a minimum of effort and expense. I like to include the Sierra and Nosler data for all calculations because they state the most accurate, fastest powders and charge and Nosler includes the case volume of the charge.