HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 08:53 AM
noway

Default RE: goin antelope hunting

You are set as far as your rifle.
Bring kneepads and leather gloves for the sneak.
Bring a bipod, the tall one for use either prone orseated and practice with it.
You need strong optics to tell the difference between a 12" antelope and a 14" antelope. In my opinion a 12x scope is minimum for hunting antelope and prefer 16x to 20x. Often stalking antelope you have to keep your movements to a minimum as their eyesight is amazing. Switching between binos spotting scope and the rifle scope is a sure way to blow the stalk. A high power rifle scope can be used to judge the animal and then take the shot without excess movement.
Although I am sure lots of people do fine with the old 3x9.

Sight in for a minimum of 200 yards. I usually sight in at 300 yards and know your drops out to 500 yards and practice out to that distance.
A laser rangefinder will be your most useful tool out on the open prairie.

Antelope are usually within a couple miles of a water source and they have to water once a day.

There are a lot of antelope in Wyoming. Don't be in a hurry to shoot the first one you see.
Be aware however that if you are hunting public land the opening day can be a bit of a track meet, and I recommendyou go two weeks after the season opens for a more enjoyable hunt.
If you are on private land go ahead and hunt on the opener.

Lastly antelope often return to the area they were spooked from. If you blow a stalk on an especially nice buck it may payoff to hang around cause he may be back. Or return the next day to the same spot and look for him again.

Get a couple antelope videos and practice judging antelope. They are one of the hardest animals to judge in the field. There are a couple Eastman's videos that give tips on how to field judge and they were filmed in Wyoming.

Anyway you are in for a great time. Hunting antelope in Wyoming is hard to beat!!
Good luck!