HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pressure Signs
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM
elkaddict

Default RE: Pressure Signs

I generally agree with vapordog. However, I have noticed that some primer cup runs tend to be of different hardness and tend to react differently to the same load(using same primers but a different batch) Similarly, some brands of primers are notably more likely to flatten than others at the same pressure. Measuring cases with a micrometer is pretty reliable and is what I primarily rely on for high intensity cartridges like wbys. With most standard rounds, ejector marks are a reliable sign. I will note that most of the different weatherby factory ammo I have shot in weatherby guns leaves a modest ejector mark. Also watch your grouping. Many guns will shoot best near maximum loads. However, clear overloads usually do not shoot as well. Always back off on your loads anytime you change components. Different brass, a different bullet even in the same weight, a different batch of powder and a different gun in the same chambering have all affected pressure. An author by the name of Bob Hagel wrote a couple books about big game loads (it's a good read) several years back. He actually encouraged reloaders to slowly work up loads to the point where they could actually see the signs of increased pressure. I believe his idea was it is quite educational, if done carefully. Hope this helps