HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

How cheap are you talking about?

The New England Firearms (NEF) single shot break-action shotgun is pretty decent. I used to have one in 20 gauge, in fact my it was the first gun that was truly mine. Never should have sold it, but I wanted a nicer shotgun when I got older. It was a good gun and I shot many pheasants with it before I traded it for a Winchester 1400 semi-auto shotgun. The two things that I didn't like about upland hunting with it was that it was a single shot (sucks when two rooster flush together), and that one had to remember to cock the hammer as they shoulder the gun.

If I were you I'd really consider saving your pennies for a little while longer and at least getting a decent pump shotgun. The Winchester Model 1300 was already mentioned, which is pretty decent. My brother had one for a long time and always seemed to like his. My suggestion for a pump gun would definately be the Browning BPS 12. I own the "Hunter" model with the walnut stocks and deep blued finish, but they also come in a variety of other finishes depending on what you want. I absolutely love my BPS. It's the finest pump shotgun I've owned or shot. The action is glass smooth right out of the box, it shoulders and swings great, and it also looks very nice for a pump gun too (no ejection port to break up the lines). It also patterns great with everything I've fed it. It's got a thumb tang safety which is ambidexterous and easy to reach. Combined with the bottom eject it's also the perfect gun for a south-paw, and for inside a duck blind (because the BPS won't bounce your empties off your buddies forehead).

The other pump I'd recommend would be the Remington 870 Express. I used to own one and it was a decent shotgun. I sold it only because I've always been a believer that an upland gun should have stocks made of walnut and the metal should shine. The matte finish on the Express' is pretty ugly, and I don't know what kind of wood the stocks were made of but it wasn't walnut.

Good luck.

Mike