HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Deer Recipes!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Gobbling Buck
Typical Buck

Default RE: I need a recipe for deer steaks

I use this recipe on deer shoulders and you can pull the meat off the bone and cut it with a fork.

Take a deer shoulder and trim as much of the fat off as possible. Cut the foreleg off.
Put in a 2" deep square cake pan. I usually line mine with aluminum foil.
Wash 4 to 6 med size potatoes and cut them in chunks with the skin still on them and place around the shoulder.
Sprinkle entire shoulder with cajun seasoning or garlic powder and season salt. (Depends on who's eating. Spicey)
Slice 1 to 2 onions and cover entire dish of meat and potatoes.
Pour water in until it almost covers the potatoes. Or beer.
Cover with aluminum foil and stick in the oven or grill at 375 for about an hour an 1/2.

Make sure the aluminum foil is sealed up tight. Once the roast is done, you can make some very good gravy from the juices that will be left in the pan. You can also add carrots and jalepenoes for flavor. The meat won't be that hot, but the potatoes and carrots will set you on fire. I've been doing shoulders this way for about 7 years or so and I have yet to have one turn out bad or tough. You can play with this recipe in a lot of ways depending on your tastes.

BTW.....have you tried any of the other recipes I gave you yet? I'd like to know how you liked them. GB