HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Turkey hunter needs help w/ equipment
Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 PM
jepcho
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Turkey hunter needs help w/ equipment

While 2 3/4" shells may be considered small when it comes to turkey...they have been getting the job done for many people for quiet a while. I would go get a turkey choke. TruGlo makes a couple of good ones. One being the Gobbler Stopper. Get one that will handle Hevi Shot and shoot Hevi Shot #6's. First off get a box call. It doesn't really matter which one. Once you get efficient with that....get a slate call. I really like Knight and Hale's Ol' Yeller. I think it sounds super real. Get 1 or 2 of them and once you think you're fairly efficient then you are good to go. You can try using mouth calls. Buy a few different brands and try to get one that fits your mouth best. Quaker Boy works best for me. But a box call is the easiest to use and maybe the realest sound. Hopefully the hens will be talking and you can mimic them. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. And good luck this spring!!