HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How did you get started in hunting?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 11:35 AM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How did you get started in hunting?

I had a BB gun in my hands for as long as I could remember! In my early days I hunted ducks some with my dad, but he was an older dad and we did not hunt together that much as I grew up. We did do a lot of fishing though.
As for hunting, in our small town ducks was the rage and also rabbits, some quail and doves too!
After school and weekends found us in the local fields hunting or on the banks of the local bayou fishing. We biked or hiked wherever we went, and basically our "playground" covered our whole town and surrounding areas! It was a different world back then! There were no Nintendo's or computer games, most of us had guns and could go where we wanted without fear of kidnapping, perverts and the like!
Most of the people knew each other, and if you were caught screwing-up your dad was sure to find out about it and take appropriate corrective action! (you got your tail fanned but good!)
You sure as hell didn't tell anyone "go ahead, tell my dad, he'll whip your a$$!"
Anyway, enough reminising, we did not have deer in our area close enough to bike to, so it was not until after I was grown that a friend took me deer hunting.
I was immediatly, hooked! I have been deer hunting for the last 27 years now, and have given up on the ducks years ago!