HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feeders???Why??
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 PM
aeroslinger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feeders???Why??

In Texas, feeders seems to be the norm with most deer hunters. I have rifle hunted with some friends who used feeders and have seen them used by many of the bow hunters although I haven't personally used them. I have thrown down some corn to slow them down or stop them and have varied results. I have had lots of does but few bucks and most of the bucks were young. What I have observed, probably common knowledge to alot of hunters, is that the feeders seem to work best early in the season. Once the deer get pressured, they tend to hit the feeders at night and avoid them in light. I have witnessed many deer meandering through early morn with no signs of alarm only to come across bait and instantly start looking and adopt a wary attitude. My personal thoughts are feeders/bait is fine. I also think they are best for attracting does/young bucks. Most of the bigger bucks and also does tend to stay back from feeders/bait. That doesn't mean they never hit them as I know plenty of guys who've taken good bucks at feeders. My personal thought is there is a reason the bigger bucks/does got bigger and that is by a very cautious approach to known dangers and that's what feeders/bait becomes to them. I probably will never set up a feeder. I prefer to scout and set up on trails, etc. to catch them unaware. My time in the woods is limited and I prefer to enjoy it. Some of my friends (mainly rifle hunters) only go out to re-fill their feeders and then go sit in a blind. I feel they are missing half the fun and most of the woods. Or maybe that's half the woods and most of the fun!