HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Last one for this year.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Last one for this year.

There is no fee for this one as it belongs to a local land owner. there are some outfitters that operate in that area but I don't know what they charge. All of us in the area help keep the place up and everyone brings food and stuff and just leaves it there until seasons are over. Kind of a rolling potluck. One thing for sure, I have never lost any weight at the deer camp. South Dakota reserves the Muzzle loading tags for resident fot three drawings. After that anyone can buy them. There are left overs as a rule though the best units go first. You can conntact the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks on thier webb site. SD also has a dept of tourism which should have info on Bed and breakfast type hunts. I don't live out there right now because my wife has a good job in ND. However we will move back there soon and if you keep in touch, there might be an opening to hunt our area.
The Woods rifle is an inline and only under unuusual conditions would I try that shot. To make a long story shorter, the chances were great that there would be a good kill or a total miss. The weather the next day was a blizzard in the making and time was short. I never saw one go down any faster. I did have to make a finishing shot when I got to her but she could only move her head. She was behind a cedar tree with just the head, neck and front shoulder exposed. The bullet droped about 16 to 18 inches and drifted about as much from a very stong direct cross wind. About 30 MPH. Therefore I did not feel there was to much risk of wounding the animal. That 300 grain XTP does a job when it does hit. The sights are way to big for precision shooting but the gun has the potential to shoot very well. I want to find some good sights for it before next season and the rear just has to be a peep sight.