HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Last one for this year.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:40 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default Last one for this year.

Just returned home this morning from my Muzzle loader deer hunt in SD. My wife and I stayed four days at the hunting camp and had the place to ourselves. It is an old One room country school that a land owner bought and turned it into a hunting cabin. We really enjoyed the stay. No Phones No TV. Cell phones won't even work out there. Our season is an Antlerless doe reduction season and I ended up shooting the biggest Mule Deer Doe I have seen in years. We came up with 105 lbs of boned out meat from this one. The deer were spooked because rifle season just ended a week ago. 200 Yards was about as close as you could get to them before they were off to the races. I finally took and connected on a 200 yard shot (my lomgest ever with muzzle loader). I shot a 300 grain Hornady XTP with two Pyrodex pellets. The bullet hit about center front of the chest and exited throug the far shoulder dropping her in her tracks. I was impressed with the performance of this load and can't imagine why I would ever need even try a three pellet load. Just getting ready to finish cutting and grinding the meat now. It was a good year and I ended up with three really nice big does. It don't get any better for a meat hunter like me. I used the TC woods Rifle which was the model just before the Black Diamond. 50 Cal.