HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning "BOSS"...good, bad or indifferent?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Danny45

Default RE: Browning "BOSS"...good, bad or indifferent?

The BOSS has good points, and bad points.

The worst point is the noise!! Wear double protection at the range, and I'd even wear plugs when hunting with it. Or, get the CR BOSS. It's the same thing without the recoil reducing holes, thus, less muzzle blast.

Other bad points:

1. Works loose if not kept an eye on.

2. Takes awhile to fine tune. (follow factory instructions or you'll go crazy).

3. Barrel is actually shorter due to it. 22" advertised barrel length will actually only be about 20". No rifling in the BOSS so that's dead space on the end of the barrel.

4. Have to retune it when changing loads, or even different lots of the same load.

Good points:

1. Lets you find the sweet spot for any ammo. No searching for the ammo your rifle likes the best. Pick a load you personally like, and tune it to it.

2. Allows you to get the best groups you can, no matter what bullet weight you use. In other words, if you were getting a 30.06, you could shoot 150 grain for deer, 180 grain for elk/moose, and 200-220 grain for dangerous bears, without worrying about accuracy.

3. With proper ear protection, makes bench shooting a blast! Reduces recoil a bunch. CR BOSS (cr=conventional recoil) means less noise, more recoil.

Having said all that, I've had a Browning SS .270 without a BOSS and it shot .75" groups with no problems once I found the ammo it liked. It actually liked Federal Premium, and Remington Core-Lokt ammo. It hated Winchester ammo. That stuff would cause my groups to open up to 3" at 100 yards.

Good luck with your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with it.