HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Outdoor
Fork Horn

Default RE: Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

I have sold each of these and had an opportunity to field test them in Saskatchawan(by accident).
The following scopes all mounted on rifles were laid out on a picnic table with pillows and towels supporting each one in a "viewing position" so you did not have to touch them. It was almost dusk and each one was "pointed" across the lake at the same dead tree approx 200 yards.
We wanted to compare light gathering , glare from the ice on the lake(if any), and temperature change(78 to 14 degrees)

Burris3x9x40 / Nikon 3x9x40/ Leupold 3.5x10x40/ Redfiled 3x9x32/ Swarovski 2.5x10x42

From worst to best > Redfield - Burris - Nikon - Swarovski - Leupold
Once they all cleared from temperature change. This was external only and was not a factor. There was no glare problems with any of the scopes. We pretty much agreed the pecking order we re-lined them up so we could get a good comparison next to each other on "light gathering"
Burris & Nikon matched we could see no difference but they were not a match for the other two..Leopold & Swarovski
Leupold Vari x III had a very, very slight edge over Swarovski.
The leopold was $364 dealer cost. (my scope)
The Swarovski dealer cost $1042 ...I sold it to a hunting buddy for our Cost.

My Buddy wanted to know if I would re-sell the Swarovski so he could put 3 VariX III on other rifles he owned.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.