HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me
Old 01-15-2004, 04:39 AM
Quilly

Default RE: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

huntsalotey..

first off welcome to the board !!!!

i own (2) 30-06sprg's and now i only one (1) 308win. every deer i have shot either not knowing i was there or being pushed to me always did something differant when hit.
i have found that the 308win and the 30-06sprg are almost identical except that the 30-06sprg shoots heavier bullets better out to farther distances do to extra powder capacity.
i too have also liked both of these calibers. ( maybe because the ammo can be found everywhere and can be cheap and good selections of factory bullets ). i would pick a bullet that works well.

.... i have found the 165gr. sierra gameking's soft point boat tails works great on deer in either the 308win or 30-06sprg. took a buck at 40yds broadside shot and the deer ran 20-30yds after the hit. only downfall was that i did not see blood on the initial hit untill about 5-10yds away. but when it did bleed he blead alot !! i was like someone dropping a 120z. glass everytime he breathed out or landed fro him jumping.
unless you hit them in the shoulders or spine that is the only way i hear will drop them in there tracks.
you ant something differant go with a 35rem they seem to drop them in there tracks all the time.