HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me
Old 01-14-2004, 04:26 PM
akbound

Default RE: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Hi mainehunt,

No...you're not the only one to wonder.....but the only one to ask. I was hoping, given the time, he'd explain. I suspect that having seen he had a "wounded animal" on his hands....and not quite the stomach to finish it...chose to give it "space" and let it die. The closer a human is to wild animals...the more distressed they become. (I know, that is not what most of us would do. Nor, do I condone it. But many new hunters on "seeing the reality" the first time or two....hesitate to do what they should. Which is to quickly and humanely dispatch the animal.)

And with that you will find disagreement some times over the method. Where legal....a small to mid-intensity handgun does it quickly, efficiently, and with little additional distress to the game. A rifle bullet through the neck, near the back of the head does the same...but with a much bigger mess. And I know of people that will "cut the throat".....as in butchering. But that is not very instantaneous.....definitely stresses the animal....and many people do not have the stomach for it. (Personally, I prefer NOT to cut the throat on an animal that is just wounded. It is different when you are butchering. Because you usually have just "stunned" the animal....so it is not aware. And it was a domesticated animal so your initial approach did not "cause distress". And you do it to well bleed the animal. Truth of the matter is on most big game....if they have been either lung...or heart...shot...they have already "bled out internally". Which is effectually the same as bleeding out externally.) My own preference is the handgun which I usually try to have available. Otherwise I will use the rifle. (Only once...or twice....when I was much younger did I cut the throat. After seeing the additional unnecessary stress it caused the animal....I discontinued that practice.) Of course if the animal was truly stunned....like a head shot pig...it wouldn't make any difference!

Not a pleasant subject to many....but necessary none the less. Thank you mainehunt for bringing it up!

Dave