HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Refinishing a T/C Hawkins
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 09:15 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Refinishing a T/C Hawkins

haha crazy.....im actually doing mine right now...only mines a flinter in 50cal.....im just doing the stock and fiberoptic sights and a sling and sending the lock back to get fixed...it doesnt spark like a champ...and i know it could....metals all good or id brown it....i hate the stock....it had a clear on it that turned white everywhere i bumped it with something hard....it was crazy.....i used a spray on stripper to get that off.....took 2 coats to get it off and alot stayed on but i got a good bit off......guess i should been more patient....but i sanded alot easily.....some areas are tough like the comb and grip area and such.....but tomarow i will finish removing a few minutes of the old finish and start sanding.....you will be surprised whats under the clear.....the wood is beautiful....atleast mine is....that clear made it look crappy and look like plastic.....im going to tru oil mine then clear it......hope it turns out good.......good luck to you......next year ill practically have a new rifle.....i hated that finish on the wood.....even before it started flaking and turning white!