HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do deer have a memory?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 12:12 PM
badshotbob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do deer have a memory?

I think deer have a memory to a certain extent. However, a lot of you are giving them more human-thinking qualities than they have. Remember, they are an animal. Smart enough to learn new things but really don't have the intelligence to think too much beyond basic survival. They have built in survival instincts as we all know - hence the blow and go after they scent us. They can certainly get used to human scent and noise to a certain degree but to remember your cologne scent or see your car and associate it with killing is a stretch I belive.

Deer are kind of funny though, let me add this: I hunt a woods behind a horse barn. The deer are well used to human scent and noise from the barn. I've even seen a trophy 10 pt listen to people clang a gate and smell them 200 yards away. That's close but it didn't bother them. Let me also say that as soon as the buck got a little more down wind of me, the human scent was a little too close for comfort and he quietly and quickly hauled his rack out of there. So, do they process things in their brain saying, "the guy at the barn is beyond the safety zone so I'm fine, but the dude in the tree there 45 yards away is not cool." I don't think so.