HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why would you want a pass through??
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:47 PM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why would you want a pass through??

More energy transfered to animal = more devastation to tissue. Shock comes from transfer of energy.

I disagree but hey thats what this board is about. I like to discuss things like this.
Energy "quote unquote" is derived from a mathmatical equasion, dont know it exactly, but it's the weight of the bullet times it's velocity etc.etc etc. It does not show actuall damage from bullets or the devestation thats created with different bullets traveling at different speeds. I for one believe velocity is 10 times more important than energy. Velocity is what creates the shock wave not the weight of the bullet. Most people believe only in big big guns and that energy is the ticket when the truth is, I have seen a 22-250 with hollow points do 10 times as much damage to a deer than a 30-06. Yes with it's little 55 gr bullet traveling near 4000 fps. The only advantage to heavier bullets is there tendancy not to be stoped by bones in big game such as elk or moose. It would be more to your advantage if you match your gun to your game. Deer size game do not require big bores and the smaller guns will do more damage as the bullet does what it designed to do. A big bore or heavier bullet traveling slower will easily go through deer with out the shock wave thats created like smaller bullets traveling faster.
This is why I do not like medium bore calibers there is no real advantage to them.
Ok Iam puting my flame suit on now LOL
Thats why .243's 25-06's and 6mm,s are so great. I say a bigger bore requires more velocity thats why 7mags. and 300's are so great. Bigger and faster = more devastation,
not bigger and slower, that = small entry small exit or no exit if you use rapid expanding bullets and thats probably what is needed in these medium bore calibers.
Man I wish I could find them articles on shock value, some real good reading.
But hey thats just my $.02